BUFFALO STATE ATHLETICS
TROY, N.Y.— Buffalo State directed 13 shots at the Western Connecticut State goal, but the Bengals were unable to break through as the Colonials pulled away for a 3-0 victory today in the final day of the RPI Engineers Cup.
FINAL SCORE: Western Connecticut State – 3, Buffalo State – 0
LOCATION: RPI Engineers Cup – Troy, N.Y.
RECORDS: Western Connecticut (1-1), Buffalo State (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Play was even for much of the game and Buffalo State finished with a 13-11 advantage in attempted shots, but the Bengals could not find the mark for the second-consecutive game to open the season.
- West Conn opened the scoring in the 14th minute and carried the 1-0 advantage into the intermission.
- The Colonials doubled their lead in the 51st minute and then put the game out of reach with another tally in the 83rdminute.
- Taylor Carillo (Pine Bush/Pine Bush) played the first 69 minutes in goal, conceding two goals while making four saves.
- Alexis Hanson (New York/West Broward) surrendered on goal in 12 minutes played between the pipes, and Isabella Vene (Deer Park/Deer Park) closed the game without facing a shot over the final nine minutes.
FOR THE FOES
- Kaleigh Panek scored twice for West Conn, and Bailey McCullom also scored.
- Three goalkeepers combined to make seven saves for the shutout.
Buffalo State will return to action on Tuesday evening with a non-conference game at Utica at 7 p.m.