ITHICA — The Niagara men’s tennis team opened their spring season on Sunday as they travel across New York State to face Cornell. The Purple Eagles fell 6-1 to the Big Red.
- Jorge Sedeno earned the lone Niagara point as he won fourth singles. He opened the match with a 6-4 win in the opening set. After falling 6-2 in the second set, he bounced back and won 7-6 in the third set to take the point.
- The number one doubles team of Tevor Masi and Tanner Bedard won three games in their doubles match but ultimately fell.
- Bryce Bodak and Gurustat Makkar won four sets in their doubles two match but could secure a win as they fell 6-4.
- Sedeno played his first duel match of the season in the fourth position, he is now 2-0 in dual matches this season. His record this season is 7-7.
- Despite his loss in the third position Manuel Alonso sill has the top record on the team as he is 11-9 this season overall.
- This was the second time since the 2018-19 season that Niagara traveled to Cornell, Niagara fell 7-0 in the 18-19 season.
- The Purple Eagles are back in action against Daemen next Saturday at the Village Glen Tennis Courts in Williamsville, the match starts at 4 PM. Niagara defeated the Wildcats on Oct. 23, 7-0.