CANISIUS COLLEGE ATHLETICS
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Clement Bourret and Pablo DeCastro recorded second-half goals and Pablo Gatinois made four saves to pace Rider to a 2-0 victory over Canisius in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference men’s soccer action Wednesday at the Demske Sports Complex.
With the win, the Broncs improved to 7-9-1 overall and 6-4-0 in MAAC play as they kept their postseason chances alive with the victory. The Golden Griffins moved to 4-10-2 and 2-7-1 as they completed their season with Wednesday’s setback.
Following a scoreless first half, Rider took a 1-0 lead just 84 seconds into the second frame as Bourret took a pass from Elliott Otmani on the right side and beat Canisius keeper Bryce Tramuta with a shot inside the left post for his second goal of the season.
DeCastro added an insurance marker in the 87th minute, converting a penalty kick opportunity for his sixth of the campaign after Otmani was taken down in the box.
Canisius’ best opportunity to get on the scoreboard came in the 30th minute when senior Hunter Walsh got behind the Broncs defense, only to see his shot turned aside on a sliding save from Gatinois.
Head Coach Dermot McGrane‘s Postgame Comments
“I felt that we should’ve scored two goals in the first half on a couple of very easy chances, and add one more that hit the crossbar. If we put them away, it’s a very different game going into the second half. Overall, I was pleased with the team’s efforts. I thought the boys played hard.”
• Wednesday’s contest served as the 24th meeting between Canisius and Rider. The win increased the Broncs edge in the all-time series to 12-10-2.
• Rider posted a 15-13 edge in shots taken during the contest, highlighted by an 11-6 margin in the second half.
• The Broncs held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks taken.
• Tramuta recorded six saves in goal for Canisius.
• Walsh paced the Griffs with four shot attempts.