BUFFALO — Eimile O’Brien (Marietta/Marcellus), Bryanna Fisher (Brooklyn/Midwood) and Brielle Bagozzi (Syracuse/Solvay) combined for 31 kills but it was not enough as Buffalo State dropped a 3-1 decision to visiting Alfred University in non-conference action this evening.
FINAL SCORE: Alfred University def. Buffalo State 3-1 (22-25, 25-18, 26-24, 25-22)
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Alfred University (4-5), Buffalo State (2-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- O’Brien finished with a team-high 13 kills, while Bagozzi and Fisher each tallied nine kills each.
- Brooke Federko (Jamestown/Jamestown) added a game-high 37 assists to go along with 11 digs.
- Darion Jonathan (Akron/Akron) and Destinee Norman (Lewiston/Lewiston-Porter) finished with 19 digs and 13 digs respectively.
- Buffalo State stormed out of the gates by using an early 12-2 run to take control of the first set and never looked back to claim a 25-22 win in the opening frame.
- The Saxons and the Bengals traded points early in the second set until a late 8-2 run by Alfred University proved the difference as the Saxons claimed the second set 25-18.
- Buffalo State recovered in the third set by taking a late 19-18 lead by using a 9-3 run but could not hold the advantage as the Saxons tallied back-to-back points to end the set 26-24.
- Both teams traded runs in the fourth frame until the Saxons tallied the final two points to take the set 25-22 and complete the three-sets rally.
- Alfred University finished with a 10-5 advantage in aces, while each team finished with seven blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Amber Smith led the Saxons with a game-high 18 kills to go along with 12 digs.
- Julia Fanning added 33 assists and 12 digs.
Buffalo State will host a six-team Bengal Challenge this weekend in the Sports Arena. The Bengals will open on Friday against Cazenovia at 5:30 p.m.