The Canisius men’s soccer team opens the 2019 regular season Sunday when it hosts Patriot-League foe Bucknell in a 1 p.m. matinee at the Demske Sports Complex.
• Ninth-year head coach Dermot McGrane returns 12 letterwinners from his 2018 squad. Canisius also welcomes 13 newcomers into the mix for the upcoming campaign.
• Senior Troy Brady is back after pacing the Griffs in scoring last season with 15 points on six goals and three assists.
• MAAC All-Rookie Team selection Alessio Atzori returns after a rookie campaign that saw him start all 15 games played and finish with a goal and an assist.
• Bucknell opened the 2019 campaign Friday with a 2-1 setback to Fairleigh Dickinson at home.
• Junior midfielder Matt Thorsheim was named to the 11-man Preseason All-Patriot League Team in early August. Thorsheim, an All-Patriot League Second-Team selection in 2018, ranked second on the squad in scoring last season with two goals and an assist for five points.
• The Bison return 19 players from the 2018 squad that started Patriot League play unbeaten through four games before finishing 6-8-3 overall. Bucknell was picked to finish eighth in the Patriot League’s Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
• Sunday’s contest serves as the seventh meeting between Canisius and Bucknell.
• The Griffs hold a 3-2-1 edge over the Bison in the series. Canisius enters Sunday’s matchup riding a four-game undefeated streak against Bucknell.
• The teams played to a scoreless draw last September at Emmitt Field in Lewisburg, Pa. Canisius held a 22-20 edge in shots taken during the contest.
• Canisius opens the road portion of its 2019 schedule Sept. 6 when it travels to Binghamton for a 7 p.m. contest against the Bearcats at the Bearcats Sports Complex in Vestal, N.Y.