NIAGARA UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS
HONOLULU – The Niagara University softball team fell twice on its opening day at the Outrigger Resorts Hawai’i Spring Fling Tournament. The Purple Eagles (0-2, 0-0 MAAC) were defeated by Saint Bonaventure and California, 3-1 and 14-3, respectively.
Game One Recap
- Niagara got off to a quick start in the first, with Sierra Bertrand striking out two batters in a 1-2-3 inning.
- In the bottom half, Kelsey Harrigan led off with a walk, the advanced to third by way of a Kendall Watkins sac bunt. Batting third, Jennifer Timm singled into right field, plating Harrigan and giving Niagara the early lead.
- Scoreless through three, Saint Bonaventure tied the game in the fourth before surging ahead with two runs in the fifth.
- Maria Gabriele led the Bobcats at the dish, going 2-for-3 with a double. Kelsey Harriganmade it aboard twice, both by way of walks.
- Bertrand went the full 7.0 innings, giving up three hits and three walks while striking out eight.
Game Two Recap
- After Cal jumped out by 10 in the first two innings, Niagara struck thrice in the top of the third on a wild pitch and a two-run single from Jerri Ann Orfano.
- Jennifer Szilagyi got the start and was relieved after 1.2 innings by Karsen Cotton, who spun 2.1 innings, giving up four runs on four hits and two walks.
- Niagara heads back to the diamond for a pair of games tomorrow against Saint Bonaventure and Hawai’i. The contest against the Bonnies will begin at 8:30 PM ET with the closer against the Rainbow Wahine tentatively slated to start at 11:00 PM ET.