NIAGARA UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS
MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. – After dropping their first game of the season two nights ago, the Purple Eagles bounced back with a shutout win against the Robert Morris Colonials on Saturday afternoon.
The dynamic duo of Kelsey Araujo and Annie Ibey each scored a goal in the same game for the second time in three games this season. Araujo, who created several chances in the first half, was rewarded with a goal in the 37th minute. She then assisted on Ibey’s third goal of the season in the 54th minute to seal the victory.
- 12′ – Kelsey Araujo’s header from close range was saved.
- 18′ – Araujo close range shot save after through ball from Mackenzie Mix.
- 22′ – Sabrina Locas made a saved off a RMU corner.
- 28′ – Araujo shot inside the box misses far post.
- 37′ (GOAL) – Araujo finally scored after all the pressure. Veda Hensel played a long ball from midfield to Araujo who collected the ball in the box and her shot beat the keeper for the game’s opening goal.
- 41′ – Ibey shot at the top of the box narrowly misses.
- 52′ – Ibey had another effort on goal saved
- 54′ (GOAL) – Lauren Testa stole the ball at midfield and played Araujo down the right side. Her cross into the box was volleyed home by Ibey.
- 66′ – Ashley LoFranco’ long range effort forced a save.
- 71′ – Florence Vaillancourt rounded the keeper in the box but misses the net.
EAGLE’S EYE ON…
- Kelsey Araujo had a game-high three points and eight shots.
- Annie Ibey has scored a goal in five of the last six games, including in all three games this season.
- Sabrina Locas made five saves en route to her first shutout of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Niagara improved to 18-4-1 all-time against Robert Morris.
- The Purple Eagles outshot the Colonials, 18-10.
- The Purple Eagles wrap up their three-game road trip against Saint Francis (PA) on Thursday, September 5 at 3 p.m.